Ir al contenido principal

Sitz

Today I want to talk about sitzs. A sitz is a kind of party, typical in Finland, or in Turku (I´m not sure), it starts around 6 p.m and finishes around 10 p.m. What is it about? Well, you have some food, you have drinks (beer, cider, and three disgusting shots) and a notebook with some songs. When you get there you have to look for your name on the table because they organize people at the table, so you are going to meet new people, and this is really cool. So, you can talk to the people you are sat and follow the rules of the Toastmasters. So, in summary all together have to sing the songs they say, also you can choose a song and sing it standing up. During the songs, if a specific word is said you have to drink and "cheers" with the people around you. There are different rules and I´m not going to say all of them but for example, if you want to go to the toilet you have to ask permission to the people next to you. I believe that it´s really weird but so funny. There are some songs in Finnish and others in English, also depends on the topic of the party. I went to St.Patrick´s day, so most were in English, but also there were some in French and Spanish, but I guess that it was because all of us were exchange students.
I think that I´m not going to another one because of the money (it´s 15€, so I consider that is quite expensive), but I recommend to go one and live the experience because it´s really funny!

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Porvoo

My family came to visit me last week, so I went to Helsinki to pick them and we decided to visit Porvoo because it´s near Helsinki. Porvoo is a very small town for almost one hour by bus from Helsinki. We took an Onnibus bus in the morning and we spend a couple of hours there. It has these typical red wooden house next to the river and a small old town, but it´s nice to walk through the streets. There is a church with a tower and a lot of wooden houses all around. There is a ski slope in the city also!! My parents were surprised by that. There is not that much to do there but it´s a good place to walk and see the local shops about souvenirs, clothes, chocolate, etc. We had a break in a very good bakery, we took hot chocolate and some typical pastry, it was homemade that morning and it was delicious! Also, the place was really cozy and the woman was kind talking with me, and she asked me if I knew Finnish and I had to speak the basic things I know with her but she was surprised. Fin...

Lost in Turku

Lost in Turku was the last event I did for my 'Get Finternational' course and it was one of the funniest events I have done in this course. We had to form a team and then we had to find 10 points painted in a paper map and we had to do an activity at each point. They were activities related to the finnish culture mostly. I found it very interesting because also people who are not studying the course could go with us. We were a team of six and we really had fun. Finally, you are a bit tired because it´s four hours walking all the time but it was a good experience. I learned new things in some of the points and it was very dynamic. I really liked that in some points there were candies or pastry, it was very nice considering that it was the time for lunch (at least for me). I think I wouldn´t change anything of the activity, it´s good to try to understand a paper map nowadays again, feeling lost in the city you had been living for 4 months. And also the activities related to Fin...

Finnish food I

I have to say that I haven´t tried all the typical food from Finland, but I tried a few things, so I´m going to tell you about them. One very typical thing to do in Finland is making a fire and burn some sausages, this kind of sausages and bigger than the normal ones, and on the fire, they are really good. Most of the time, they eat them with a beer or tea. People here love tea, I have to say that I´m not a fan, but I can understand with the low temperatures they want something hot to be warmer, but I prefer hot chocolate! Actually, I have tried a lot of hot chocolate here, and in every place, they taste different for me but I like them. Other food that is typical is the reindeer meat, I tried once in the student restaurant and I have to say that I don´t like it, but I want to try it in a different way, like in a burger to see if I like it more. Also, the “black” bread, but I prefer the white one, and now I´m used to eating it with butter, and it´s very good (although not as healthier...