Ir al contenido principal

Traditional Finnish baking

Today I had an event for one of my courses: get Finternational. We went to the VocationalInstitutee of Turku to bake some traditional Finnish food and it was really interesting! We cooked three different things: rye loaf, karelian pasties, Finnish cinnamon rolls. We were in groups and cooked all of them. I started with Karelian pasties (and also I would say that they were my favourites) and it has a technique for doing the size but we tried several times and I can say that I know how to do it (it doesn´t mean that I do it well). Then we put them in the oven and after that, you have to brush them with butter and wait and it´s done! It was new for me the fact that we eat them with scrambled eggs on top, and it´s so much good with it. We also mash the dough of the bread (rye load), it was very difficult to get the good size; but this was the one I didn´t like so much, because I usually don’t eat this type of bread, it´s such different of the one from my country. After that, we made the Finnish cinnamon rolls, and they are also very good, they needed more time to be ready but I was worthy because they are delicious! I found this event very interesting and tasty! After cooking everything we could taste everything and bring some of them to our home and to share with other exchange students friends; and also we asked for the recipe so now we can make them!



Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Lost in Turku

Lost in Turku was the last event I did for my 'Get Finternational' course and it was one of the funniest events I have done in this course. We had to form a team and then we had to find 10 points painted in a paper map and we had to do an activity at each point. They were activities related to the finnish culture mostly. I found it very interesting because also people who are not studying the course could go with us. We were a team of six and we really had fun. Finally, you are a bit tired because it´s four hours walking all the time but it was a good experience. I learned new things in some of the points and it was very dynamic. I really liked that in some points there were candies or pastry, it was very nice considering that it was the time for lunch (at least for me). I think I wouldn´t change anything of the activity, it´s good to try to understand a paper map nowadays again, feeling lost in the city you had been living for 4 months. And also the activities related to Fin...

Stockholm

Most of the Finnish people recommended me to visit Stockholm, so this Easter I had a visit from a friend from Spain and we decided to visit it with two more friends from the Erasmus. We were there on Thursday morning and we came back on Sunday morning, but it was time enough to see the most important things. We visited four of the 14 islands that Stockholm has, and we are totally in love with the city. It´s a very lively city (compared with Turku there is a big difference) with a lot of beautiful buildings, it´s bigger than I thought and I think it´s a place you can visit more than once and you´ll always see new things. There are also a lot of parks and places to have a picnic or just chill with your friends. The only thing I don´t like about it it´s that it´s very very expensive, and also they use a different currency so it´s difficult to calculate some times how much are you paying and also I had a fee when I paid with the card. We also did a free tour in Spanish and I have to say ...

Porvoo

My family came to visit me last week, so I went to Helsinki to pick them and we decided to visit Porvoo because it´s near Helsinki. Porvoo is a very small town for almost one hour by bus from Helsinki. We took an Onnibus bus in the morning and we spend a couple of hours there. It has these typical red wooden house next to the river and a small old town, but it´s nice to walk through the streets. There is a church with a tower and a lot of wooden houses all around. There is a ski slope in the city also!! My parents were surprised by that. There is not that much to do there but it´s a good place to walk and see the local shops about souvenirs, clothes, chocolate, etc. We had a break in a very good bakery, we took hot chocolate and some typical pastry, it was homemade that morning and it was delicious! Also, the place was really cozy and the woman was kind talking with me, and she asked me if I knew Finnish and I had to speak the basic things I know with her but she was surprised. Fin...