Ir al contenido principal

Country comparison

I found a website with a very interesting comparison between any country and Finland, as I´m Spanish I chose Spain to see how different we are, in general terms, in these six points: power distance, individualism, masculinity, uncertainty avoidance, long term orientation and indulgence. 
Power distance: the extent to which the less powerful members of institutions and organisations within a country expect and accept that power is distributed unequally.
Individualism: the degree of interdependence a society maintains among its members.
Masculinity: the fundamental issue here is what motivates people, wanting to be the best (Masculine) or liking what you do (Feminine).
Uncertainty avoidance: the extent to which the members of a culture feel threatened by ambiguous or unknown situations and have created beliefs and institutions that try to avoid these.
Long term orientation: how every society has to maintain some links with its own past while dealing with the challenges of the present and future.
Indulgence: the extent to which people try to control their desires and impulses.

Blue: Finland. Purple: Spain.

As you can see in the graphics, we are different in all of the fields, Spain has a higher score in power distance, masculinity, uncertainty avoidance and long term orientation; and a lower score in individualism and indulgence.

From my point of view I agree, I think it´s a generalisation and not everyone is like this but it´s the common pattern. About power distance it can be true because probably here there are fewer differences between power and there is more equality, in Spain, we should improve it. Individualism is clearly higher here in Finland, I could see in these months that people are very independent one from each other, also I think it´s a bit sad in some aspects, you see a lot of people alone at university, at restaurants, etc.. In Spain, of course, there are some people who are more independent and individualist but in general Spanish people are sociable and we like to be surrounded by people. About long term orientation I think in Spain we are really close with our families and past memories, we have family customs and it´s common for example that grandparents take care sometimes of grandchildren, and here in Finland I saw that it´s not the same, as people are more individualist they are not that close to this kind of things and children go to kindergarten and not with family members. 
https://www.hofstede-insights.com/country-comparison/finland,spain/

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Lost in Turku

Lost in Turku was the last event I did for my 'Get Finternational' course and it was one of the funniest events I have done in this course. We had to form a team and then we had to find 10 points painted in a paper map and we had to do an activity at each point. They were activities related to the finnish culture mostly. I found it very interesting because also people who are not studying the course could go with us. We were a team of six and we really had fun. Finally, you are a bit tired because it´s four hours walking all the time but it was a good experience. I learned new things in some of the points and it was very dynamic. I really liked that in some points there were candies or pastry, it was very nice considering that it was the time for lunch (at least for me). I think I wouldn´t change anything of the activity, it´s good to try to understand a paper map nowadays again, feeling lost in the city you had been living for 4 months. And also the activities related to Fin...

Stockholm

Most of the Finnish people recommended me to visit Stockholm, so this Easter I had a visit from a friend from Spain and we decided to visit it with two more friends from the Erasmus. We were there on Thursday morning and we came back on Sunday morning, but it was time enough to see the most important things. We visited four of the 14 islands that Stockholm has, and we are totally in love with the city. It´s a very lively city (compared with Turku there is a big difference) with a lot of beautiful buildings, it´s bigger than I thought and I think it´s a place you can visit more than once and you´ll always see new things. There are also a lot of parks and places to have a picnic or just chill with your friends. The only thing I don´t like about it it´s that it´s very very expensive, and also they use a different currency so it´s difficult to calculate some times how much are you paying and also I had a fee when I paid with the card. We also did a free tour in Spanish and I have to say ...

Porvoo

My family came to visit me last week, so I went to Helsinki to pick them and we decided to visit Porvoo because it´s near Helsinki. Porvoo is a very small town for almost one hour by bus from Helsinki. We took an Onnibus bus in the morning and we spend a couple of hours there. It has these typical red wooden house next to the river and a small old town, but it´s nice to walk through the streets. There is a church with a tower and a lot of wooden houses all around. There is a ski slope in the city also!! My parents were surprised by that. There is not that much to do there but it´s a good place to walk and see the local shops about souvenirs, clothes, chocolate, etc. We had a break in a very good bakery, we took hot chocolate and some typical pastry, it was homemade that morning and it was delicious! Also, the place was really cozy and the woman was kind talking with me, and she asked me if I knew Finnish and I had to speak the basic things I know with her but she was surprised. Fin...