Ir al contenido principal

Vappu II

Today I want to talk about the Vappu day because now I lived the experience. It was a wonderful day, everyone was in the streets and Turku was very crowded. The 30th of May is celebrated this 'party', but it´s also funny because is not just university people, but also families and old people. They were wearing a white cap, they get this cup when they graduated at university, and since year every year they wear it on this day and the 1st of May, and they feel very proud wearing it. It was very impressive seeing the old people with their old caps.
In the morning there´s free punch at university (University of Turku mostly) and there are different stands from different organizations or degrees offering this punch (I have to say that one of them were really good, but others...), you only have to take your own cup and then you can take punch as much as you want. It´s a very good way to start the day. Also, there was a band playing some music and free balloons and some staff. After that, I went to Assarin Ullako because there was a special brunch and I ate a lot because the day was going to be long! Then, people rest or go to the river to keep drinking and chilling with friends, I decided to do the second one so we kept drinking in the afternoon. Then, at 6 in one hill there is a speech and the people take off the white cap and the party starts. I was very very surprised there because I´ve never seen so many people in the whole of Finland as that day! And after it, they keep drinking by the river, so we did it to be a real Finnish!
At night there are some parties but the prices are really high (more than usual), but definitely, if you come to Finland, you have to experience Vappu day!
The first of May you can feel the hangover but there is a picnic in the park of the observatory (in another hill) and everyone goes there with families, and of course with their white caps! Sadly we were there eating but it started to rain and the day was a bit ugly.
Resultado de imagen de vappu turku

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Lost in Turku

Lost in Turku was the last event I did for my 'Get Finternational' course and it was one of the funniest events I have done in this course. We had to form a team and then we had to find 10 points painted in a paper map and we had to do an activity at each point. They were activities related to the finnish culture mostly. I found it very interesting because also people who are not studying the course could go with us. We were a team of six and we really had fun. Finally, you are a bit tired because it´s four hours walking all the time but it was a good experience. I learned new things in some of the points and it was very dynamic. I really liked that in some points there were candies or pastry, it was very nice considering that it was the time for lunch (at least for me). I think I wouldn´t change anything of the activity, it´s good to try to understand a paper map nowadays again, feeling lost in the city you had been living for 4 months. And also the activities related to Fin...

Stockholm

Most of the Finnish people recommended me to visit Stockholm, so this Easter I had a visit from a friend from Spain and we decided to visit it with two more friends from the Erasmus. We were there on Thursday morning and we came back on Sunday morning, but it was time enough to see the most important things. We visited four of the 14 islands that Stockholm has, and we are totally in love with the city. It´s a very lively city (compared with Turku there is a big difference) with a lot of beautiful buildings, it´s bigger than I thought and I think it´s a place you can visit more than once and you´ll always see new things. There are also a lot of parks and places to have a picnic or just chill with your friends. The only thing I don´t like about it it´s that it´s very very expensive, and also they use a different currency so it´s difficult to calculate some times how much are you paying and also I had a fee when I paid with the card. We also did a free tour in Spanish and I have to say ...

Porvoo

My family came to visit me last week, so I went to Helsinki to pick them and we decided to visit Porvoo because it´s near Helsinki. Porvoo is a very small town for almost one hour by bus from Helsinki. We took an Onnibus bus in the morning and we spend a couple of hours there. It has these typical red wooden house next to the river and a small old town, but it´s nice to walk through the streets. There is a church with a tower and a lot of wooden houses all around. There is a ski slope in the city also!! My parents were surprised by that. There is not that much to do there but it´s a good place to walk and see the local shops about souvenirs, clothes, chocolate, etc. We had a break in a very good bakery, we took hot chocolate and some typical pastry, it was homemade that morning and it was delicious! Also, the place was really cozy and the woman was kind talking with me, and she asked me if I knew Finnish and I had to speak the basic things I know with her but she was surprised. Fin...